Conference in Bled, Slovenia
From 12-16 november 2010, the beautiful alpine resort of Bled, Slovenia hosted the yearly Avalon Events. The events started with a conference about Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and was followed by a Network Meeting for Avalon Network Members.
Greening the Common Agricultural Policy
For various administrative, technical, environmental/ecological, historical and other reasons – the existing CAP measures and procedures aimed at greening European agriculture do not necessarily benefit the New Member States and their environment. This problem has been recognised on various occasions, but it doesn’t seem to have been sufficiently addressed and discussed. The conference therefore focused on the question: how to improve the existing efforts to green the CAP, and adjust it to the real needs of the New Member States and non-EU countries aspiring to EU membership. The issue was discussed and analysed with the relevant GO, NGO, academia, business and other representatives from the Old and New Member States, as well as countries aspiring to EU membership.
During the conference the following presentations were given:
- Ladislav Miko: Director European Commision, DG Environment
- David Baldock: Executive Director Institute for European Environmental Policy, United Kingdom
- Felix Wackers: European Learning Network on Functional AgroBiodiversity
- Marija Markes: Head of Rural Development Division, Slovenian Ministry of Agriculture, Forrestry and Food
- Arie van den Brand: President Groupe de Bruges, president Alimenterra
- Bernhard Rebernig: Federal Ministery of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Vienna, Austria
- Dimitris Diakosavvas: Trade and Agriculture Directorate
- Guy Beaufoy: EFNCP Part 1 and Part 2
- Davorin Koren: Triglav National Park
- Sonja Karoglan Todorovic
- Vyara Stefanova: European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism
- Antje Kölling: Policy coordinator IFOAM EU Group, Brussels
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Martina Bavec and Prof. Dr. Franc Bavec: University of Maribor, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Institute for Organic Farming
- Trees Robijns: BirdLife International
The conference was followed by a Network Meeting for Avalon Network Members. The network meeting lead to concrete tools for network members to support the changing CAP measures and procedures with lobbying and capacity building. As always the Network Meeting gave ample scope to exchange experience and information between Network Members.